What Makes Healthy Soil?
"Soil is an ecosystem full of life that needs to be carefully managed to regain and maintain the ability to function optimally."
Cornell University identifies these functions of healthy soil:
• Retaining and cycling nutrients
• Supporting plant growth
• Sequestering carbon
• Allowing infiltration, and facilitating storage and filtration of water
• Suppressing pests, diseases, and weeds
• Detoxifying harmful chemicals
• Supporting the production of food, feed, fiber, and fuel
(Cornell University's Comprehensive Assessment of Soil Health )
Norwich Meadows Farm brings together traditional knowledge and science to achieve extraordinary soil health and agricultural productivity.